Monday, June 13, 2011

Oh what a difference the light makes

So the other day my good friend Chris told me he was selling his Nikon F100 film camera, and being a gear junkie, I immediately offered to buy it. A couple days later, I met up with another good friend and former roommate Toby for some portraits with film. I'd worked extensively with B&W film, but this was my first foray into color film, and let me tell you, it was GLORIOUS. We met at 7:30 and the light, oh the light!!!!! Seriously beautiful. Toby, however, is a really horrible horrible model. I mean really terrible. Kid wouldn't sit still, and when he did, it was only because he was doing things like the first photo below. I think he just wanted to ensure he would never be a guinea pig for me again...so congrats on that Toblerone you succeeded. Now unfortunately, something went wrong with the AF in the camera and most of the photos look like free-lensing in reverse. Which if any photo-nerds out there know what I'm talking about and know what's wrong, drop me a line. Basically, the edges of the photos, mostly at the bottom of the image, are in focus, while the center is pretty blurred out. I used my new (eeek!!!) Nikor 50mm 1.4D which gave me some bokeh deliciousness. But anywho, here's two of the shots that came out. I'm really excited because I'm thinking about incorporating more film into wedding/portrait work. HollA!!!




12 comments:

  1. Using film is so gratifying. I've only used B/W once...I think color is too much fun to even bother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, you gotta love film. I shot my honey moon the other month with an old olympus trip and the photos came out dreamy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha the first shot is hilarious :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also thinking of incorporating film into my wedding work.
    Would love to see some more scans from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No matter what people say you CANNOT digitally create true film, it's like putting magic in a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just read that post back, it wasn't clear what I was saying I don't think so thought I would clarify - I love film and I love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome images need no apologies. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't beat the organic feel of film.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Digging the look of that second one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors in the first shot Porter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. not sure what went wrong but I am loving the look! love the goofiness in the first one. it's pretty extreme lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think toby looks beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete